Monday, April 30, 2012

Spring Cleaning For Writers

photo credit
Ahh, can you feel it? Spring is in the air and while we're chasing down those dust bunny's it's a good idea to clean out our writing as well. We can do this in several ways.

  1. Literally. We can clean our space. Do you have a certain place you like to write? If you're anything like me you collect papers and all sorts of things that clutter your desk. Go through it all and organize! There's nothing like a clean workspace to make you feel comfortable. 
  2. Clean our desktop. I have about a million files on my computer that have to do with writing. I have two million versions of every manuscript not to mention power points and notes and random things... I regularly try to go through and make sure things are in the right folder. AND very importantly that I have the latest versions of everything backed up. 
  3. Finally we have to clean up our manuscripts! Whatever you're working on it's important to go through and do a pass for spelling and grammar. Make sure your formatting is correct and up to date. Be sure to eliminate extraneous words like adverbs and extra adjectives that aren't needed. That same refreshing feeling of clean will help your manuscript as well. No matter how many times you've been through this, it's still an important step! 
Anything else we can clean out having to do with writing? 

17 comments:

  1. I love that feeling of not only cleaning my workspace but organizing files and deleting the ones that aren't important or aren't needed anymore! More than the house cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I spring cleaned my house as thoroughly as I do my mss. :D

    I need to spring clean my files. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooo! Please don't make me clean my office or delete old manuscript files. I need them. Or I might. Someday. You never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring cleaning...arg! I can't stand clutter, and definitely can't write in a messy space. BUT...the deep cleaning of the house? Totally needs to be done. Maybe next spring :/

    As for my manuscript, I'm spring cleaning it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so need to do this. I can barely see my computer buried under all the post-its and books. But the house...I'll get the kids to clean that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on #3 right now! I keep all versions of my stories, but I'm pretty good about putting them in folders labelled 'older versions'. I could probably delete them all, but that's terrifying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a clean, clutter-free work area in order to write clearly--because I'm so visual. Although my house is certainly NOT spotless, I do need order in order for other parts of my life to fall in place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny, I just did a desk and desktop purge last week. I'd add to clean out your query list. Have some gone stale? Do you need to nudge anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes. It has all piled up around me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cleaning up and organizing. It give me the impression of being efficient. : )
    I also find it satisfying to clean out my bookshelves and give away or donate the books I'm pretty sure I won't read again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once had a boyfriend who accused me of decorating (my apartment) by throwing things away. And I was throwing "my stuff" away, not his! I love cleaning out things that are no longer needed, because it is soooo liberating. Now where'd that trash can go?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks!! But for me it would have to be autumn cleaning, haha! At least my writing space is already clean...I just write in a couch. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm totally inspired to clean up my writing space. Thanks, I need to do it desperately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just my head...characters requiring more room to roam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How about cleaning out distractions that keep you from writing??? That's where I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL... My desk looks like a paper explosion. I keep thinking: I should clean this.

    I'm considering your post a sign from the universe. Thanks! Tomorrow, I'm digging in. ;)

    ReplyDelete