Monday, November 4, 2013

AND, BUT, BUTT, and a CONTEST!

He he. Like my title? Lee McKenzie pointed out a rule the other week that I just LOVE to break as well and that is starting a sentence with "and" or "but". Also, writing in fragments. See what I did there? LOL

If you do it too much, it's distracting. I usually end up fixing quite a few in edits, but it's part of my style as an author. I don't do it because I have a reckless disregard for grammar (though I admit I'm not the best at that). I do it because it lends power to my words, my flow, and my voice. If it doesn't? Then I get rid of it. 

OH. You noticed the contest part, did you? *rubs hands together* I've decided to give you all some incentive to participate. All you have to do is suggest a writing rule you want me to talk about in this blog series and I will use randomizer.org to pick a winner. Sound good? Easy peasy, just the way I like it! 

What do you win? How about a Kindle version of THE BINDING STONE? Already read it? I'll give you your choice of that or a five page critique. Oh and of course a shout out if and when I pick your suggestion. Contest is open now through Friday at midnight EST. No extra points, but my everlasting gratitude if you help publicize it. ;D

Back to my rule of the day. And you've also been waiting for the "butt" part, haven't you? Here's an excerpt (possible slight spoilers) from THE BINDING STONE just for you. Thought you might like to see Taj in action since the next book features him quite prominently. ;D


My hands tremble. Mira has grown silent and remains pressed against the ceiling staring at me. What does she see? Does she see a monster? A murderer? A traitor? 

“I will hold her here.” Taj’s voice in my ear startles me. 

“But–” 

“Yes, I have a lovely butt,” says Taj. “No need to thank me, it looks ever so much fun. Now, go save that handsome master of yours.” 

“But–” 

“Yes, he also has a nice ass. Too nice to get beat to a pulp. Now go.”   Taj’s hands rise toward the ceiling, and I feel the burden lifted from my own. He refuses to make eye contact with me. 

I lean in and kiss him on the cheek.

6 comments:

  1. I love these characters SO much. SOOOOO much! And I still swoon every time I see this fabulous cover.

    In case anyone hasn't read this book yet, go get it. Grab it.love it!

    And have I illustrated Lisa's other points yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Overly using this technique would make one's work choppy and hard to read. However, when used in specific instances it can add that punch a story needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, of course, I love your title. And I'll love your series as well. Sounds like Taj has a great sense of humor! As to the writing rule. . .how about tackling the use of he as the pronoun of choice when you're making sentences like this grammatically correct: Everyone measured his/their part of the space. Have fun! And now I must butt out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like breaking these rules too. Though like you, I try not to break them too often. But definitely in dialogue, they should be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaking grammar rules most certainly enhances voice in fiction writing. It's not something I recommend to my English students in essays, however. :-)

    ReplyDelete