Monday, November 11, 2013

Put It Away - Not Yet!

I thought this topic may be appropriate for those participating in Nano as well. I've been talking about breaking rules of writing and I plan on tackling one of the biggest right now - putting it away after the rough draft before you work on it.

I've mentioned before how important it is to set your manuscript aside to see it with fresh eyes. Are you ready for this?

You just wrote (are writing) a rough draft. You've vomited out fifty thousand words in one month. The characters and plot are an excited jumble in your mind that won't let you sleep. 

GO AHEAD AND WORK ON IT.

Yup. That's right. If it's what's on your mind and you're itching to tackle a revision, go ahead.

Shouldn't you put it away?? *bites nails* YES. You should. Just... not yet. Don't you dare go querying it or anything. But are you going to have to revise? No question. So if you want to work on it until you can't see straight go ahead, and THEN when you've had it, when you can't tell one sentence from another, THEN you put it away in the proverbial drawer. 



8 comments:

  1. I agree. Sometimes you know what needs fixing before you even finish a draft. Those things can be revised without time between, but eventually distance is needed, so yes, THEN is must be put away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEVER put mine away for very long. Maybe two weeks, three tops. The thing is, by the time I get to the end, a sufficient amount of time has passed since the beginning to let me look at it with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that sometimes it's good to do those fixes right away and then put the manuscript away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always put it away after draft one. I am too scared to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Once you're in the zone, I think it's good to keep working... as long as you DO take a break before putting it out there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got one in the drawer. It's going to stay there a few more weeks before I take it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, the more coats of paint, the richer the color? There's always time to let it nap later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the end of draft 1 I usually already know the major rewrites that I need to do. No sense in waiting. I go do them. When I send that rewritten draft to betas, I take a small break while they read. :)

    ReplyDelete